Pages

Friday 30 September 2011

Chicken in Spicy Creamy Tomato Gravy

ChickenInTomatoCoconut1

I saw this recipe here. And I loved it. I wanted to try it immediately. But it needed so much oil.. well, I thought, once in a while it is okay to cook such yummy dish.
But again, my weighing machine told me I was crossing the acceptable weight. My jeans was telling me i was losing shape....
So, I saved it in my favorites for some days.. but it kept haunting me... why not try once, one time does not matter...
And who says I am out of shape.... Round is also a shape :-)

What you need:

Chicken : 1 Kg, with bones
Onion : 1, big, chopped
Ginger Garlic paste : 3 Tbsp
Lemongrass : 4, chopped
Dry red chillies : 10, soaked in water for about 15 - 20 mins (adjust according to taste)
Tomato Soup : 1 cup
Coconut milk : 1 cup
Star Anise : 2
Cinnamon : 2 inch
Cloves : 5
Cardamom Pods : 5-6 , ground coarsely
Salt : to taste
Turmeric : 1/2 tsp
Oil : for deep frying + 1/4 cup
  1. Marinate chicken with Salt and Turmeric. Set aside for an hour.
  2. Heat oil for frying in a deep wok and fry the chicken pieces till golden, drain on paper and keep aside.
  3. Put Onion, Lemongrass, Red chillies and Ginger Garlic paste in a food processor and make a coarse paste.
  4. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a wide pan.
  5. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and star anise, until it emit a nice aroma.
  6. Add the processed onion paste. Fry till the raw smell disappears and is fragrant and oil separates.
  7. Add tomato soup, coconut milk and chicken pieces.
  8. Add salt.
  9. Lower the heat and cook till the sauce thickens.
  10. Garnish with spring onion, and serve hot with rice or rotis.

ChickenInTomatoCoconut2

Mom's Tips:
If you don't have tomato soup, you can use tomato puree. Use the homemade puree, I feel store bought very tangy.
If you don't want so much fat in your dish, you can skip frying the chicken pieces before hand, and add them directly in Step 7 and cook till done.

9 comments:

Manju said...

That looks absolutely delicious!!

Kalyani said...

wonderful and delicious curry with tempting clicks .......

notyet100 said...

Luv ur presentation,..:)

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, cant take my eyes from ur fascinating click,fingerlicking dish.

Chitra said...

wow this chicken curry looks absoultely mouthwatering......love ur space glad to follow u...

do visit my blog when u get time...
thanks in advance..

Julie said...

lovely yummy recipe..

Amila said...

This looks so yummy!!Want to try soon...First time here,do visit me @http://foodssrilanka.blogspot.com/

t said...

Ooh! Tomato soup and coconut milk! You got our attention :) Looks yum!

Tadka Pasta said...

Ooh! Tomato soup and coconut milk! You got our attention :) Looks yum!